Admission into health professional school programs is a competitive process. Therefore, we encourage you to Gain the Competitive Edge with the Science Enrichment Preparation (S.E.P.) Program at The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. See below to learn more about S.E.P. and the application process.
Overview of the S.E.P. Program
Held each summer on the UNC Chapel Hill campus, the S.E.P. Program is an eight-week, honors-level academic enrichment program that targets first-generation, underrepresented minority, rural, and/or socioeconomically disadvantaged undergraduate students (rising sophomores and juniors) who seek admission into health professional school programs. S.E.P. Scholars receive educational supplies, free lodging on the UNC Chapel Hill campus, and a competitive stipend.
Application and Program Dates:
- Annually, the application opens in October and closes in March
- Traditionally, the program begins the second week of May and concludes the second week of July.
During the Program, S.E.P. Scholars:
- Engage in more than 150 hours of classroom instruction in Physics, Organic Chemistry, Human Physiology and Quantitative Skills/Biostatistics.
- Participate in test preparation sessions with Princeton Review or Kaplan.
- Visit local health facilities and network with health care professionals.
- Shadow a working professional in their health field of interest.
- Must be enrolled in a College/University, Community College or Early College Program.
- Classified as a rising sophomore or rising junior at the time of application (or graduating senior enrolled in Early College).
- Identify as at least one of the following:
First generation, financially disadvantaged,
African American/Native American/Hispanic or permanent resident in a rural county in NC.
- Have completed a minimum of three credit hours in Math, Biology and Chemistry.
- Hold a science/overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Be a US citizen or Permanent US Resident (North Carolina residents receive preference) and 18 years of age.
A Completed S.E.P. Application Comprises:
- All online application materials.
- One Letter of Recommendation and Two Faculty Appraisal Forms.
- A recent head-shot photo.
- Financial Information Verification (i.e. FAFSA, Student Aid Report, Parent/Guardian 1040 Tax Forms).
- Official College/University Transcript(s).
- Application fee by Money Order – $25.00.
To learn more about S.E.P.
Please visit http://nchcap.unc.edu/college/sep-program/.
Should you have questions about the S.E.P. Program, please direct them to
919-966-2264 or email the Program Director, Dr. Paula Borden, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Competitive applicants will be accepted on a rolling admissions basis. Therefore, the earlier applications are completed and submitted, the more likely students secure a seat in the program.